Althea Garrison is an American politician, woman of trans history, and the first trans person to be elected to state legislature.
Garrison was born in 1940 in Georgia, attending high school there before moving to Boston to go to beauty school. She went on to enrol in a number of Universities, receiving her associated, bachelors and masters degrees, and finally a certificate in special studies in administration and management from Harvard in 1984.
She ran at least 9 unsuccessful campaigns for office before 1992, when she had her first and only success. She ran as a Republican candidate for the Massachusetts House of Representatives, and defeated the Democratic candidate, Irene Roman, 2,451 votes to 2,014.
Garrison was only able to enjoy her victory for two days, before she was outed very publicly. Her previous male name was revealed after her name change document from 1976 was discovered. The author of the smear article was Eric Fehrnstrom, the communications director for the Mitt Romney presidential campaign.
The outing had a negative affect on her career, making her the butt of many political jokes. No one in the Massachusetts State House, including Garrison, would publicly confront the smear.
Despite the obvious ignorance in regards to her trans history, she still impressed her colleagues. "She’s a transvestite or transsexual black woman, with an Adam’s Apple, who’s a Republican, who you run into in the members’ ladies’ room," recalls one former colleague. "That being said, when you get past all those obvious things, I always found her to be very pleasant and very kind."
During her time in office, she often voted on the side of the Democrats, showing herself to be consistently pro-union. Her re-election campaign in 1994 was unsuccessful, despite endorsements from several of the labour unions she had supported.
She has continued her political campaigns since, running unsuccessfully in a number of elections. She has notably come out against marriage equality, stating same sex attraction is “a matter of choice and lifestyle not to be confused or associated with class or race.” She is even allied to the anti-LGBT rights group ‘MassResistance’.
Check out more trans history on Gendered Intelligence’s ‘Trans History’ tag.
- goldenvolcarona reblogged this from loversintransition
- sixdimensionalglitter reblogged this from loversintransition
- fictional-fiend likes this
- loversintransition reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- truealma reblogged this from queerwoc
- katedaddy reblogged this from daughterofthemask
- ask-thesashofbolin likes this
- falafel-faerie likes this
- daughterofthemask reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- warriorbones reblogged this from queerwoc
- warriorbones likes this
- spiritofnlmk reblogged this from themarshallinquiries
- spiritofnlmk likes this
- dreamyafternoon likes this
- chakailin likes this
- revcleo likes this
- sentimentalsearcher likes this
- ohlaurenisthatyou likes this
- la-escopeta reblogged this from queerwoc
- saywhatnowxana likes this
- thatshortgirlwithglasses likes this
- fatbabe-princess reblogged this from fatsmasher
- fatsmasher reblogged this from queerwoc
- colorfulacoustic likes this
- taedisplay reblogged this from queerwoc
- queerwoc reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- trappedinhistory reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- gumasaat likes this
- copecannot likes this
- viperethics reblogged this from saturnineaqua
- bsays likes this
- dildosandglitter reblogged this from fuckyeahriotgrrrlsofcolor
- saturnineaqua reblogged this from fuckyeahriotgrrrlsofcolor
- bon-dia-querida likes this
- robinsworld likes this
- readinglist32 reblogged this from fuckyeahriotgrrrlsofcolor
- fuckyeahriotgrrrlsofcolor reblogged this from pewpewlazernipples
- ussenterprisescience reblogged this from iamsomanythings
- lavvie55 likes this
- iamsomanythings reblogged this from only-the-clouds
- only-the-clouds reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- mylifeisquestionable reblogged this from how-it-feels-to-be-colored-me
- pewpewlazernipples reblogged this from casanova-frankensteins-monster
- astudyfromabenaddict reblogged this from marsmarmot
- marsmarmot reblogged this from boricuasbonds
- nappynomad reblogged this from theuppitynegras
- chemman9 reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- choirgirlhotels reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- redheartcatcher likes this
- gelopanda reblogged this from boricuasbonds