Althea Garrison is an American politician, woman of trans history, and the first trans person to be elected to state legislature.
Garrison was born in 1940 in Georgia, attending high school there before moving to Boston to go to beauty school. She went on to enrol in a number of Universities, receiving her associated, bachelors and masters degrees, and finally a certificate in special studies in administration and management from Harvard in 1984.
She ran at least 9 unsuccessful campaigns for office before 1992, when she had her first and only success. She ran as a Republican candidate for the Massachusetts House of Representatives, and defeated the Democratic candidate, Irene Roman, 2,451 votes to 2,014.
Garrison was only able to enjoy her victory for two days, before she was outed very publicly. Her previous male name was revealed after her name change document from 1976 was discovered. The author of the smear article was Eric Fehrnstrom, the communications director for the Mitt Romney presidential campaign.
The outing had a negative affect on her career, making her the butt of many political jokes. No one in the Massachusetts State House, including Garrison, would publicly confront the smear.
Despite the obvious ignorance in regards to her trans history, she still impressed her colleagues. "She’s a transvestite or transsexual black woman, with an Adam’s Apple, who’s a Republican, who you run into in the members’ ladies’ room," recalls one former colleague. "That being said, when you get past all those obvious things, I always found her to be very pleasant and very kind."
During her time in office, she often voted on the side of the Democrats, showing herself to be consistently pro-union. Her re-election campaign in 1994 was unsuccessful, despite endorsements from several of the labour unions she had supported.
She has continued her political campaigns since, running unsuccessfully in a number of elections. She has notably come out against marriage equality, stating same sex attraction is “a matter of choice and lifestyle not to be confused or associated with class or race.” She is even allied to the anti-LGBT rights group ‘MassResistance’.
Check out more trans history on Gendered Intelligence’s ‘Trans History’ tag.
- empressofthyabyss reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- empressofthyabyss likes this
- wolfyson likes this
- fictional-fiend likes this
- truealma reblogged this from queerwoc
- katedaddy reblogged this from symonetheshyster
- bolinsfedora likes this
- avocadobrat likes this
- symonetheshyster reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- warriorbones reblogged this from queerwoc
- warriorbones likes this
- spiritofnlmk reblogged this from themarshallinquiries
- spiritofnlmk likes this
- zhakailin likes this
- revcleo likes this
- sentimentalsearcher likes this
- la-escopeta reblogged this from queerwoc
- saywhatnowxana likes this
- thatshortgirlwithglasses likes this
- princess---babe reblogged this from femmevengeance
- femmevengeance reblogged this from queerwoc
- colorfulacoustic likes this
- taedisplay reblogged this from queerwoc
- queerwoc reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- trappedinhistory reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- niilotica likes this
- copecannot likes this
- viperethics reblogged this from saturnineaqua
- bsays likes this
- saturnineaqua reblogged this from fuckyeahriotgrrrlsofcolor
- bon-dia-querida likes this
- robinsworld likes this
- readinglist32 reblogged this from fuckyeahriotgrrrlsofcolor
- fuckyeahriotgrrrlsofcolor reblogged this from pewpewlazernipples
- ussenterprisescience reblogged this from iamsomanythings
- lavvie55 likes this
- iamsomanythings reblogged this from carrion--comfort
- carrion--comfort reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- mylifeisquestionable reblogged this from how-it-feels-to-be-colored-me
- pewpewlazernipples reblogged this from tyrantrummed
- marsmarmot reblogged this from boricuasbonds
- nappynomad reblogged this from mysoulhasgrowndeep-liketherivers
- chemman9 reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- choirgirlhotels reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- gelopanda reblogged this from boricuasbonds
- gelopanda likes this
- suckmesleezi reblogged this from bigdeelight
- suckmesleezi likes this
- dearestinternet likes this