Lou Sullivan, a gay trans man, was the founder of FTM International, the first trans organisation exclusively for trans men.
He grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, before moving to San Francisco in 1976. In 1978, he began taking testosterone, having chest surgery in 1980 and genital surgery in 1986.
Lou’s work as an activist was considered instrumental in demonstrating the existence of gay trans men, as well as the idea that sexual orientation and gender identity were separate concepts.
He was diagnosed with HIV in 1986, and died of AIDS in 1991, aged 39.
Check out more trans history on Gendered Intelligence’s ‘Trans History’ tag.
- wolfyson likes this
- thenext-greatadventure likes this
- scouthibou likes this
- diannasoctopus likes this
- i-llsaythethingsthatyouwon-t likes this
- kutekweer likes this
- hmelt likes this
- thekyriarchywontfuckitself reblogged this from is-wooden
- essentialisinvisible likes this
- midorimaexe likes this
- is-wooden reblogged this from feisty-feminist
- dolleater-lolita reblogged this from dickensianwerewolf
- feisty-feminist likes this
- eloquentlyevocative likes this
- obsoletehauswife likes this
- axonsandsynapses likes this
- capspatrioticpecs likes this
- ludotomboi likes this
- theotherwindow likes this
- rip-bravewarrior likes this
- d-fabricio-threat-goop likes this
- cousinnick reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- phoenixhobbit reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- scot-lad likes this
- teaistheanswer likes this
- aestheticsaturn reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- boom-presto likes this
- keebiekneebiez reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- i-cant-even-think-straight reblogged this from genderedintelligence
- nonamealien likes this
- impostoradult likes this
- pwettykittyslollipop likes this
- genderedintelligence posted this